If you are a pontoon boat owner, you must know that, like every other vehicle, your pontoon boat also needs to be registered on the state register. And only registration is not enough to take your boat out to any places. You also need to place the registration number on the boat so that it could be visible from a handsome distance, and you become able to avoid legal hazards due to any inconvenience.
What are the registration specifications?
- The number must be placed on each side on the forward half of the vessel. You can also place them on either side of the steering system.
- The number should be painted on the boat or applied as a decal or affixed to both sides of the bow.
- Numbers must be in block letters and should have 3 inches in height.
- The number must be read from left to right on either side.
- Numbers should have contrasted color with the background.
- Camouflage and two-toned numbers are not legal and should be avoided.
- Letters of the registration number must be separated from the numbers of it with hyphen or space.
- Decals must be affixed three inches prefixed or affixed to the registration number in the same line.
- No other numbers apart from registration numbers should be displayed on either side of the bow.
Where should the registration number be placed?
There is common confusion regarding the placement of the registration number of the pontoon boats. Although it differs from state to state, still all the United States has almost the same law and rules regarding this matter. According to that law, the registration numbers of a pontoon boat must be placed on both sides of the bow. But, as most of the new boats come without bows, hence it is more convenient to place the registration number anywhere on the forward part of the boat. But while placing registration number one thing, you need to make sure that it should be clearly visible from each side of the boat on the water body. And all the other specifications that need to be followed are mentioned in the above paragraph. You should keep the license plate containing the registration number near the marine radio for control and surveillance.
What are the consequences you need to face if the registration number is placed in the wrong position?
Due to the rising confusion regarding this matter, where should the registration number be placed on the pontoon boat? Many boat owners do that only, which feels convenient to them. And they can do so because even if it is wrongly placed, the worst it could take place is they will be asked to remove them and replace them to the actual place, as asked by the coastal officers. But if the numbers are placed in 3 inches high bold letters on either side of the boat and are visible at 50 feet distance, then the probability is very less that you face any problem or getting a ticket from the coast guards. The license plate is either colored with deck paint or other bright colors to maximize the visibility of the registration number.
How to remove the registration numbers if it is wrongly placed or stuck at a place for getting old?
To remove the registration number, you can use a heat gun and then another product known as Goo Gone. But you should start with the heat gun first and apply heat slowly on the surface where the number is placed. But if the registration numbers get very old and give you trouble removing them, and then use a plastic scraper with heat and then the Goo Gone. Apply the Goo Gone, leave it for a few minutes, then wipe it off and repeat the process.
Once you are done with the registration and the registration number is also placed on the boat, you are all set to go for a trip with your friends and family in your pontoon boat and host a beautiful party.